Female Genital Mutilation is a procedure in which, certain parts of the female private genitals either wholly or partially are removed for non-clinical reasons. Sometimes, it is called female circumcision. It is practised worldwide, however, it is prevalent in Africa.
Ways by which female genital mutilation is carried out.
1. Partial and systemic removal of the clit0ris.
2. By making the opening of the vag!na narrow. This is primarily done by cuts made to the lab!a. The lab!a are also repositioned by cutting.
3. Various incisions and pricking of the female genitals.
4. Removal of the lips of the vag!na, popularly known as the lab!a.
Reasons why Female Genital Mutilation is carried out.
1. In certain societies, this act is carried out to initiate young ladies into womanhood because it is believed to facilitate fertility in women and increase birth survival rate.
2. People indulge in it for various religious reasons. Religious leaders in some climes promote it because they believe that since it was done in their holy books. it should be encouraged among members.
3. It is widely believed that not circumcising a female is bad for her hygiene. Certain parts like the labia and clit0ris are believed to have an offensive odour; therefore it is better to cut them off.
4. The clit0ris is the most sensitive part of the female body. Cutting it off is said to reduce s3xual emotions and prevent unholy s3xual cravings by the lady in question.
5. Removal of the clit0ris is done to keep the virginity of women and increase s3xual enjoyment from their husbands.
6. Some communities deem it compulsory for a lady to be circumcised before she will be allowed to marry. Denying themselves to be circumcised can deprive some women of their benefits.
7. Most women who have themselves been circumcised. want their daughters to pass through the process.
8. Certain communities hold circumcision has a tradition, which has to be continued steadfastly.
Certain complications that arise from it.
- It causes a fatal wound infection like tetanus. Tetanus, when not properly treated can lead to death.
- Urinary infections arise when blunt and crude instruments are used to operate on ladies.
- It increases the risk of getting infected by HIV infection. This is due to the similar unsterilized instruments used for a whole number of ladies at the same time.
- Ladies taken through the painful experience are at risk of child morbidity and mortality.
- Some women have difficulty in enjoying a satisfactory s3xual experience with their husband because of various traumatic experiences.
- Female circumcision can lead to haemorrhage. Haemorrhage itself leads to anaemia, which is dangerous.
- Temporal or permanent damage will be caused to the urethra and bladder.
- A lady will experience a continuous painful menstrual period.
Why Female Genital Mutilation should not be encouraged
1. First and foremost,she did not choose to be cut, it was forced on her. Forcing your opinion on your child is not advisable because it affects their outlook on life.
2. Female Genital Mutilation is not in line with modern practices. It is archaic and obsolete.
3. It impedes a ladies self-worth.
4. The physical and psychological harm it has on ladies takes a time to heal.
5. Lastly, there is absolutely no health benefit to it.
In conclusion, if you have any experience about Female Genital Mutilation, you are free to share.